Thursday, November 6, 2014

Flash....Aaaa Aaaa

Wrong theme song. As I am talking about the DC character The Flash aka Barry Allen and not in fact Flash Gordon. But darn it, if that Queen song isn't catchy. It's probably common for people to confuse the two when they hear Flash--that or a camera flash, but I digress. The Flash has been around for a long time, first appearing in comic form in 1940. The character it's self has had many incarnations aside from Barry Allen, but Barry happens to be the main character in CW's TV version of The Flash. Why bring this up you ask? Yours truly has finally found the time to sit back and catch up on the series, watching the four episodes saved on my DVR. I've been hearing a lot of feedback from folks watching the show, most of it positive. I broke down and binged all four episodes tonight. I should have been writing, but this show was definitely worth being behind on my word count again.

I thoroughly enjoy the show. It's interesting, well written with a great cast. Not to mention, a lot of well known cameos, by not just other DC characters but actors from other well known TV series/movies. Considering it's on the CW, I'm really impressed. It's not easy to match up to my one and only favorite CW show, Supernatural. Here's a quick run down of the main cast: Grant Gustin (Barry), Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin Snow), Tom Cavanagh (Dr. Harrison Wells), Jesse L. Martin (Detective Joe West), and Rick Cosnett (Eddie Thawne). Grant is well known for appearing in Glee, Arrow, and the 90210 reboot. Danielle has appeared in Yours, Mine, & Ours, Mr. Brooks and the TV shows Shark, Necessary Roughness, and Justified. Ed, Love Monkey, Eli Stone, The Following plus Yogi Bear and a plethora of TV movies grace Tom's list. You might remember Jesse L. Martin from a little thing called Rent, Law & Order and Ally McBeal. Whereas Rick's acting credits include: short film The Elephant in the Room (which he wrote and produced as well), Headland, The Bet and The Vampire Diaries.

Being a fan of musicals, I was familiar with Grant and Jesse prior to the show and being the king of TV Christmas movies, the same went for Tom. I haven't really seen much of what the rest have been in. So, I'm thinking that for most of the cast, this show is a pretty big deal. But, they portray their characters very well. It also marks another thing (DC comic related) that TV is doing right. I'll definitely keep watching it, live or at least next day. Rather than just letting it build up. I have enough to watch as it is without letting too much pile up.

But watching the show also gave me some serious nostalgia for the DC Universe Online for Play Station. I was obsessed with that game for a long time. Guess what one of my favorite super powers was? Yup, super speed. Your character would even give off sparks just like the Flash. I of course also had a character that flew like Superman, because who doesn't want to fly like Superman? I think this show has (in a secondhand way) revived my interest in the game. I'll be penciling some gaming into my schedule real soon. I also really need to brush up on my comics. So many comics, so little money.

So if you're a fan of The Flash or just a fan of DC, I highly recommend the show. It's not too late to jump in and the previous episodes can be found on the CW website. New episodes air Tuesdays at 8/7 c.

No comments:

Post a Comment