Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Face Palm Moment

As you may be aware, I've been having problems (annoyances) with my phone in regards to installing updates. Mainly due to the fact that I have limited space available. In order to download the update it requires at least 4 GB of space on the phone, which I don't have. But here's the kicker, the moment of realization--a real doh! moment. A friend reminded me, there was a way to by-pass the issue of trying to free up space, it wasn't necessary--I could skip sacrificing apps to appease the Apple gods. We are all so used to automatic updates, or updating once we are connected to WiFi, because of it's ease and convenience. We have been conformed to rely upon it and therefore have been blinded to the old process of updating the phone via the computer and the iTunes program already installed on it. That's right, the computer, using the USB cable. It will download the update and install it on the phone without the need for extra space and bonus...everything currently on it stays. I will admit, I felt like a dummy for resigning to leave my phone to it's fate of no longer functioning properly. The only downside: it takes forever. Two hours later and it's still not quite finished yet. But I'll take it, if it means I can finally get the phone working and not have to lose more apps. Twitter, Facebook, Mail--the biggest offenders of space usage and I use them all frequently. So I was dead set not to relinquish any of them, and now I don't have to. Tomorrow I update my mother's iPhone...the battle ends. To the victor go the spoils.

No comments:

Post a Comment