Thursday, September 4, 2014

My Poor Car

So yesterday, I had to drop $140 to replace the battery in my car. No big deal, it was a two year old battery—bound to happen eventually. The odd thing though, it happened on my sister’s watch. The car was fine the day before when I was driving it and it didn’t seem to show signs that the battery was running low. She goes to start the car the next morning to go to an appointment and nada. Funnier still is the theory I’ve come up with. My car hates my sister. This isn’t something I just made up, I’m fairly certain it’s got it out for her. Why would my car dislike her you ask? Oh, it might have to do with the brand new scratches on the rear bumper. Yup, now I have a scratched up front bumper (long story, explanation to follow) and a scratched up rear bumper, again. So far, every time my car has been damaged, it’s been while my sister has been at the wheel. She must have the worst luck with vehicles. 
The first time, the entire back bumper had to be replaced, had to go through insurance for that one. Some old lady at the mall didn’t see my sister pulling out of the parking spot and scraped her car along the entire back end of my car. Then they had the nerve to play my sister, who was a nervous wreck, and not give her their insurance information banking on her being so distressed that she wouldn’t notice. They convinced her not to call the cops either. They being the old woman and her daughter. The daughter should have been beaten with a stick to have let her mother drive. The old woman had cotton swabs in her ears for crying out loud. My sister learned her lesson to not let that happen again, hopefully. But it was her first time getting in an accident, I get it, it can happen. One $250 deductible later, my baby was back to 100%. Cue second instance of damage, the front bumper. My (at the time) pregnant sister takes the car up north with her husband. While driving on the freeway, the car in front of them drives over a huge piece of a horse trailer tire and throws it backwards into my car. This scuffs a portion of the right front bumper and knocks out a piece of the plastic grill. My sister comes back home, has her baby and due to the ensuing craziness, the repair to the front bumper gets put on the back burner.

So how did the new damage happen? My sister took the car to the mall to meet a friend, while I was still out of town. She returns home at night and is none the wiser to the scratches and paint transfer on the back. The next day, we decide to take my car to IKEA and she notices the bumper is a bit uneven on the right side. I take a closer look and see the scratches and red paint. Some drunken idiot decided it was a good idea to climb into his car and drive. He scraped the bumper pulling out of the parking space beside my car. That’s the theory anyway. No proof, because no one owned up and left their insurance info behind, like a decent human being. But then they were not decent, since they were drunk driving. My sister has agreed to pay to fix the front and the back—I would really like to avoid submitting another insurance claim. So that’s that, fingers crossed all works out with minimal cost to either of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment